Welcome to Deans Community High School. This part of our website is to support students and parents through the process of transition from primary to secondary schools.
Our cluster primary schools are Carmondean, Deans, Knightsridge, Meldrum and Seafield.
Transition to secondary is an important milestone in every child's education and here at Deans we aim to support learners throughout the process.
P7 Open Evening
This video is a recording of a previous presentation that was given for any parents who were unable to attend our in-person events. If you have any further questions around the transition process please contact the school directly via email@example.com (opens new window)
In this section you will find dates for transition activities for the current session, links to video tours of the school and some information about the subject faculties here at Deans Community High School.
Have a look at our introductory sway presentation below:
|August onwards||Livestreaming of lessons across cluster by Deans CHS staff|
|Tue 06 Dec||Parental Information evening. Tour from 4:30-6:00pm following by a presentation around transition in the Theatre from 6:00-6:30pm|
|Feb/Mar||Mr Small visits to P7 classes|
April - end May
Session 1 on Teams
Session 2 in Deans
Session 3 in Deans
Session 4 in Deans
Session 5 in Deans
Session 6 in Deans
|May||Parental Session at Deans Community High School.|
May - June
House Competition (in cluster primary and via Teams with some tasks at home).
Pupils will be added to the P7 Transition Teams page with channels for each House (Cairnpapple, Dechmont and Houstoun).
Once the House competition is live we will upload the different activities both here and the Teams page to allow pupils to work on them at home as well as school.
|June||Transition visit for all P7s (3 days)|
As more events are confirmed dates will be posted here.
Welcome to Deans Walkthrough Videos
We would encourage you to take some virtual tours around the building to get used to finding your way around and how it looks before joining us at Deans.
There are more Welcome to Deans Walkthrough Videos (opens new window) on our Deans TV Vimeo Channel.
Maps of the school can be found on this link School Map (PDF) [710KB] (opens new window)
The school handbook can be downloaded here School Handbook 2023-24 (PDF) [4MB] (opens new window)
School Clothing Grants and Free School Meals:
Families on low incomes may be eligible to receive free school meals and milk for their children. There are also grants available to help towards the cost of school clothing.
Click on the link below for more information:
Please note that West Lothian Council are unable to accept applications for the 2022/2023 academic year until around Monday 16 May 2022.
This is an online service provided by the Scottish Government.
It is a single point of access for online school payments (iPayImpact) and a variety of additional services to support you and your child.
There is a Parent Portal Online button on the homepage of our website that has information, guidance and video tutorials on using the service.
iPay Impact is the online method of payment into school accounts for things such as lunch money and payments for school trips and excursions. Further information on how to set up an account if you do not already have one can be found in the Parent Portal link below.
This app is used to pre-order lunches at school. It can only be used to order food, all payments for lunches must be entered using the iPay Impact system. More information about this app will be made available once your child enrols in S1.
At Deans Community High School we strive to provide the highest level of support for all our learners.
Care plans for those with specific health conditions will re-commence from S1 as they are not automatically carried on from primary.
Parents of any pupils with conditions such as asthma, epilepsy, diabetes or allergies need to complete paperwork for their child with help from Pupil Support.
Please make contact with the school at the earliest opportunity to allow the plans to be put in place and ready for the start of S1 in August.
To contact Pupil Support phone the main school number on 01506 282155 and then press 2 for Pupil Support.
Here at Deans Community High School we pride ourselves on how we represent the school and our uniform is an important part of this.
Our school uniform is:
- Deans CHS jumper or hoodie or plain black jumper, hoodie or cardigan.
- Plain black school trousers, jeans, leggings or skirt.
- Black school shorts or black chino type shorts (not sport or denim).
- Black or neutral tights.
- White shirt (short or long sleeved).
- S1-4 'junior' tie.
- S5-6 'senior' tie.
- Black shoes (all black no coloured logos, laces, etc).
- S4-6 black school blazer (optional).
- T-shirt, shorts/tracksuit/jogging bottoms.
- Light rain jacket.
- Swim shorts/trunks for boys.
- One piece swimsuit for girls.
Families and Young People Advice Service:
We now have a School Campaign Development Officer, Jennie, who is based in our school. Her role is to deliver a specialist income maximisation service for children and families who are experiencing financial hardship to support them to be more financially resilient.
Some of the things Jennie can provide advice or support on:
- Advice on which benefits you may be entitled to and support to claim them if required.
- Support to appeal benefit decisions or to ask for a decision to be reconsidered.
- Check to make sure your household income is maximised and help you claim any top up entitlement you may have.
- Information provided on any grants available, referrals and support to claim.
- Help with claiming support for the cost of the school day - Free School Meals, School Clothing Grants, School Clothing Bank referrals, EMA's (Education Maintenance Allowance).
- Assistance with Mandatory Reconsiderations and Appeals for when disability benefits have been refused or you feel your current award is not correct.
If you are struggling with your Money, Benefits or Debt please get in touch to see how she can help.
Please call or email Jennie using the details below and she will get back to you - Remember to mention Jennie or Deans Community High School to ensure your enquiry is allocated correctly.
01506 283 000 opt 4
Face 2 Face appointments are available in school on Monday afternoons and Tuesday mornings.
- In S1 and S2 at Deans you study a wide range of subjects from across the curriculum.
- During S2 you will select the subjects you wish to continue to study in S3.
The different curricular areas have provided some videos and examples of work for you to get a flavour of the work covered when you start secondary school.
Some examples of S1 and S2 English work:
- Analysing Poetry (PDF) [580KB] (opens new window)
- Creative Writing 1 (PDF) [1MB] (opens new window)
- Creative Writing 2 (PDF) [531KB] (opens new window)
- Persuasive Writing (PDF) [417KB] (opens new window)
A Powerpoint show with a game or two that helps introduce you to English:
Expressive Arts & PE
You can also follow our school Twitter accounts @deanschs for news, information and updates.